Monday, September 22, 2008

Pygmalion

Startled when a living eye appeared
To gaze beneath the polished marble stone
I stood enthralled, astonished. Then I feared
My eager tools might ravage facial bone
Or sacred flesh within the supple layered
Features of this rock. The monotone
Of day in day out prayer had persevered
On God who said this unsexed haggard crone,
My stony privacy, should yield to grace,
A muse called Chastity. Her gentle smile
Should bring me comfort still. And now a face
Of neither cynicism nor of guile
Accompanies my solitude; and eyes
Aglow with blessings solace yestersighs.

1 comment:

Fr Ken Bartsch, OFM Conv said...

Pygmalion appears on the Roman poet Ovid’s Metamorphoses. He is a sculptor who, disinterested in the women in his own society, creates a perfect image of an ideal woman in stone. The gods, hearing his prayer and knowing his frustration, reward him by transforming the stone to human flesh. She is named Galatea. This is one of the few stories in Ovid’s book that ends happily.