Friday, March 14, 2008

Holy Week, 1993

I holy weeked in a hospital bed
And saw the services
From below the surface of my suffering
On a TV screen.
I wondered at those men
Who walked on the dry land of comfort,
Who sang songs
And read readings
And kissed crosses,
But could not speak to me
Beneath the surface of my suffering.
They seemed like men
On an island
-- or a continent –
in the middle of a continent --
far from the vast waters of pain
that gird our world – that washed over me.

Our Earth, they say, should be called Water
And our lives should be called Pain.
But we spend most of our lives
On the dry land of comfort
Hardly aware of those who
Lie beneath the surface of their suffering
And gaze on us with glassy eyes.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The first line... I want to read it: One Holy Weekend...
I saw the services.... Was there a typo?

"..below the surfaces of their suffering..." How well I understand this. I love the image of the water.. inviting us to go deeper. Jung (I think) says water is an image of the subconscious.

Thanks for posting. I like your "free verse". Margaret